One thing we over here at Midtown Design love and cannot get enough of is baking, especially cookies! This Valentine's Day we would love to share our favorite Valentine's cookie recipe so that you can enjoy too!
Love Day M & M Cookies
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix (not sugar-free and not 'cook & serve'), OR use 2 teaspoons cornstarch in place of pudding mix
1 teaspoon baking soda
Salt, optional to taste
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup milk chocolate M&M's mixed into the dough + about 1/2 cup for placing on top of dough mounds
Optional: Sea Salt to add a pinch of sea salt to the top of each cookie
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) combine the butter, white and brown sugars, egg, and real vanilla, then beat on medium-high speed until creamed, approximately 4 minutes.
- Once creamy and well-combined, scrape the sides of the bowl, then add add the flour, pudding mix (or cornstarch), baking soda, salt (optional), and beat on low speed until just combined, approximately 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the chocolate chips, 3/4 cup M&Ms, and beat on low speed until incorporated, approximately 30 seconds.
- Using a large cookie scoop form 15 mounds of dough, roll into balls, and flatten slightly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of M&Ms to the top of each dough mound.
- Place dough mounds on a large tray, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for no less than 2 hours. Can be refrigerated up to 5 days. This step is vital to ensuring the cookies will not be prone to thinning and spreading.
- Once you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Optional: Add a sprinkle of sea salt to the top of each dough mound prior to baking.
- Place refrigerated dough mounds on a lightly sprayed baking sheet, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spaced about 2+ inches apart.
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes, or until the edges are crisp and the middles are just set. Cookies will become more firm as they cool.
- Allow about 10 minutes to cool prior to serving.
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.