Love Day M & M Cookies
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix (not sugar-free and not 'cook & serve'), OR use 2 teaspoons cornstarch in place of pudding mix
1 teaspoon baking soda
Salt, optional to taste
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup milk chocolate M&M's mixed into the dough + about 1/2 cup for placing on top of dough mounds
Optional: Sea Salt to add a pinch of sea salt to the top of each cookie
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) combine the butter, white and brown sugars, egg, and real vanilla, then beat on medium-high speed until creamed, approximately 4 minutes.
- Once creamy and well-combined, scrape the sides of the bowl, then add add the flour, pudding mix (or cornstarch), baking soda, salt (optional), and beat on low speed until just combined, approximately 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the chocolate chips, 3/4 cup M&Ms, and beat on low speed until incorporated, approximately 30 seconds.
- Using a large cookie scoop form 15 mounds of dough, roll into balls, and flatten slightly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of M&Ms to the top of each dough mound.
- Place dough mounds on a large tray, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for no less than 2 hours. Can be refrigerated up to 5 days. This step is vital to ensuring the cookies will not be prone to thinning and spreading.
- Once you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Optional: Add a sprinkle of sea salt to the top of each dough mound prior to baking.
- Place refrigerated dough mounds on a lightly sprayed baking sheet, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spaced about 2+ inches apart.
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes, or until the edges are crisp and the middles are just set. Cookies will become more firm as they cool.
- Allow about 10 minutes to cool prior to serving.
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.